Just like any other piece of technology, Antennae have evolved greatly over the past few decades. Today, they are much smaller in size packed with an unmatched performance. A perfect antenna can not only boost signal reception but also help in transmitting quality data. Finding an appropriate antenna for your device can be challenging, but most dealers that sell them, may help in determining the antenna you need.
Antennas: How do they help?
Antenna is a device that is used to transmit radio or wireless signals. An antenna converts electromagnetic radiation into electric currents. Antennae come with different features and capabilities to transmit and receive signals. Generally, transmitting antennae handle more electrical energy than receiving antennae.
Based on the frequencies they transmit and receive, they may be classified into:
- Isotropic radiators: An isotropic radiator is concerned primarily with theories. This does not have a physical mass, neither a specific dimension. This type of antenna does not exist physically.
- Diapole Antenna: A Diapole Antenna has two wires arranged in completely opposite directions, arranged vertically and horizontally.
- Random Wire Antenna: This type of antenna is simply a long wire, with one end of the wire connected and the other end free.
- Parabolic Antennas: These antennae are used for high gains, including satellite dishes.
- Horn: They are also used for high gains, but practically do not operate on low frequencies.
- Patch Antenna: A Patch antenna consists of a square conductor usually mounted on a plain surface to enhance signal strength.
In addition to these, there are radio antennas that can be classified on the type of modulation. If it is amplitude modulation, also known as AM, the frequency ranges from 535 kHz to 1605 kHz while in FM, it ranges between 88 MHz to 108MHz.
Again, there are Television antennae that are classified as very high frequency or VHF or Ultra High Frequency or UHF. The range of the antennas (short, medium or long) usually depends on the requirement of the customer.
Buying an Antenna
When it comes to buying an antenna, the selection usually depends on how close you maybe to the source. They can be installed indoors, outdoors and are classified based on their design. An antenna can deal with multiple directions or collect signals from a key location.
When it comes to finalizing an antenna that you need, reading product review proves to be a big help. Also, you should visit your local electronic store and learn more about the product from a knowledgeable sale associate. Alternatively, with several online stores to choose from, you can browse for a few recommendations online.
Amongst the fastest growing developer and manufacturer of long range Industrial Wireless radios and cryptographic technology, AvaLAN believes in delivering only high quality goods at an affordable cost. For more information, please feel free to visit: http://avalanwireless.com/